- 250 mL (1 cup) packed brown sugar
- 250 mL (1 cup) ketchup
- 125 mL (½ cup) white vinegar
- 60 mL (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 poblano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) cumin seeds
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) salt
- 2 mL (½ tsp.) ground black pepper
- 16 skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Whisk together all ingredients except the drumsticks in a bowl. Place drumsticks in a large re-sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high and oil the grill well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Remove drumsticks from marinade and set marinade aside. Grill drumsticks, turning frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes, until meat pulls away easily from the bone or the internal temperature reaches 77°C (170°F).
- Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan and heat until boiling. Boil for 1 minute and then reduce heat. Simmer sauce until serving time.
For a little more heat, add hot pepper seeds to the marinade.