- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) butter or margarine
- 1 L (4 cups) marshmallows
- 2 mL (½ tsp.) vanilla extract
- 1.25 L (5 cups) puffed rice cereal
- 250 mL (1 cup) dark, milk, or white chocolate, melted
- To taste, candies for decorating
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Add cereal and stir until well coated.
- Using a greased spatula, press the mixture into a rimmed, greased, 40-cm x 27-cm (16-in x 10½-in) baking sheet. Let cool 4 or 5 minutes.
- Using an oval cookie-cutter, cut puffed rice mixture into egg shapes.
- When well chilled, dip the largest ends in the melted chocolate and then decorate with candies, to taste.
It's best to cut the eggs when the puffed rice mixture is still slightly warm. If you don't have an oval cookie cutter, use various shapes! Be sure the pieces are well chilled before dipping them in the chocolate.